If you’re shopping for replacement windows in Fair Oaks, CA, you’ve heard of vinyl and wood windows.
Wood windows and vinyl windows are the most common window type for both replacement and new construction because both have amazing benefits from appearance and efficiency to cost and more. However, vinyl windows and wood windows are very different, and one might be better for you and your home than the other.
Use this guide to help you choose between vinyl and wood for your replacement windows in terms of budget, design, environment and basic preferences.
- Energy Efficiency – Wood windows are an excellent choice when it comes to energy efficiency. Wood is a natural transference inhibitor, meaning it doesn’t transfer the outside heat or cold through the frame into your home. Vinyl windows also offer superior energy efficiency. PVC has a low cold and heat conduction rate to keep the outside temperature on the outside. Vinyl windows also have airtight seals to further weatherproof your home.
- Care – Wood windows require a lot of care. They need to be repainted or re-stained at least once every two years to not only keep up their look, but also to prevent them from rotting and decaying. Wood windows should also be resealed once a year to prevent warping and bending. Vinyl windows, however, need almost no maintenance. They never need to be repainted or refinished, and only require basic cleaning with soap and water to prevent dirt and grime from building up.
- Construction – Wood windows are most commonly constructed from pine or Douglass fir wood, as these wood types are durable and visually appealing. Vinyl windows are made from man-made polyvinyl chloride. Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, is a rigid plastic that holds up to extreme weather and the passage of time. Some vinyl windows have other chemical additives or fillers.
- Overall Cost – Wood windows can get very expensive. Their natural materials and necessary craftsmanship lend towards a heftier price tag. Look for sales to get wood windows at a lower cost. Vinyl windows cost, on average, about 25 percent less than wood windows. Made from man-made plastics, vinyl windows are mass-produced making them less in demand and therefore less expensive.
- Look – Wood windows are lovely. Solid and naturally beautiful, wood offers a classic beauty that matches lots of home styles. Wood can also be painted or stained over and over again to match your changing décor or whim. Vinyl windows come in almost an infinite number of colors, styles shapes and sizes. You can customize your vinyl windows to be exactly the way you want. However, it’s difficult to paint vinyl windows so the color you choose at installation is the color you’re stuck with.
The Window and Door Shop, Inc. is here to help if you want to learn more about vinyl and wood windows. We are a Fair Oaks, CA replacement windows business with years of experience, and we would love to help you choose which windows are best for you home. Pay us a visit or give us a call for more information.